Ranking a new website is hard work; there are no guarantees and no short cuts. Make sure your site is a site you would want to visit and written the way humans would want to read it.
Google's search engine uses a variety of methods to determine which pages are displayed first in the results. Their exact formula is a secret, but there are always a few things you can do to improve your Google search results.
1. Make sure your website is Mobile Friendly - Over 50% of consumers are now using their mobile devices to perform their searches. More searches are performed on mobile devices than from laptops, so as of April 2015, Google decided to give bonus points to mobile-friendly sites.
Google provides a very helpful tool called Mobile-Friendly Test tool, to check if a website is mobile friendly or not.
2. Optimize your site to load fast - Online shoppers are impatient; an Aberdeen Group study states that a web page must load in less than two second. A slow website is bad not only for the end-user, but also for search engine optimization. Meaning, it can cause your website to rank lower in search engine results. That translates to fewer page views and customer conversion for you.
3. Optimize with Relevant Keywords – One of the most important elements in ranking your site is optimizing your website with relevant keywords. If you don’t choose and use keywords customers are searching for, you won’t be found.
- Website URL - Make sure to optimize your URL. You can do this by making sure the page name describes the page content (www.domainname.com/page-topic-name.)
- Page Title – Your keywords must be included in the page title, which show up in the browser tab and search results. Write an unique title for each page of your website
- Meta description - Include keywords in a short summary about your page so that users can learn about the content of the page ( do not exceed 155 chracters.)
- Image alt tags - Target keywords should be used in your image alt tags and file name to help identify your wite as keyword enriched.
- H1 tags - Your H1 or header tag is the most important tag on your page. Be sure to include one or two keywords for better rankings.
- Page Content- Use words in your content that you think your visitors used to find your website. Keep the content easy for visitors to understand. Give informational content the visitor will be intersted in and will want to come back for more. Use keywords throughout the content but don't over use. This is considered spamming and will block you from higher rankings.
4. Target Low Competitive Keywords - Low competition Keywords are those keywords that have a good monthly search volume but relatively low competition. Choosing the right keywords for your web marketing campaign is one of the things that will determine your business’s success or failure. Having targeted, keywords with low competition that draw in targeted traffic will play a key role in your success online.
Becoming a keyword expert is a process. It takes time and practice to grasp how to move from competitive keywords into low competition keywords that rank. It is a skill you build through trial and error, but along the way there are many great tools to help you such as Google’s Keyword Planner.
5. Build quality Backlinks - Link building is one of the oldest and most effective SEO tactics. It’s also one of the most productive ways to grow organic search traffic but if done incorrectly can actually harm your results.
A “backlink” is created when an external website links to yours. Google gives more credit to websites with quality backlinks, meaning you backlinks must be relevant to your content.
6. Use Social Media - While it is reported that Google does not takes social media into account for SEO, you can draw a large amount of traffic from social media.
Having active Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google+ profiles with rich content will help draw more traffic to you.
7. Update website content and blogs regularly - On the internet, your website is living, breathing entity. Every update plays a part in the interaction with visitors, customer and search engines, such as Google.
The more frequently you update your website with articles, new web pages and content, the more often search engines will stop to visit. When search engines look at your site more frequently, you have the opportunity to achieve higher rankings based on the content you provide.
8. Follow Google Guidelines - SEO is important for higher rankings on search engine and Google is king of the search engines so following Google guidesline is important. Don't try to deceive your users and think about what makes you website stand out from others are good rules to follow.